Light Skin + Sun = Sunburn or unwanted tan.
I’m a light skinned Nigerian girl living in a place where it could get really hot. I really wish I could lay my hands on a sunscreen or sunblock, zinc oxide or Titanium oxide. But zilch. Their are either above my budget or it has to be shipped to where I live or both (again above my budget).
So to temporarily treat sunburn I make my own body scrub (this is not a new thing). Its easy and the ingredients can be right in your kitchen.
-Brown sugar or just plain granulated sugar.
-Honey (Important) or Vegetable Glycerin.
-Dudu Osun-African Black Soap (optional).
1. Pour the sugar (enough for your whole body) into a bowl.
2. Add a cap full of the Lemon juice.
3. Add one tablespoon of Honey.
4. Lather the Dudu Osun in a very small quantity of water(enough not to make the mixture too waterey because you are going for a paste). Then add this to the bowl containing the scrub.
5. Stir until you get a paste.
6. Scrub is ready for use.
DISCLAIMER: Everyone’s skin is different and so will react differently to the scrub materials especially the Dudu Osun and Lemon juice.
It stung at first but I’m used to it now, so I don’t feel anything.
Tip: Try washing off the scrub with warm or hot water instead of cold water and you will feel so refreshed (at least I did).
The honey is important because it’s a humectant, thus helps in moisturising the skin after the scrub because the lemon juice can be drying to the skin.
WARNING: Do not scrub in the morning or when you need to go out under sun. You can use a sunblock. The lemon juice is photosensitive and will make you burn very fast.
That’s our homemade/DIY Exfoliating scrub recipe.